You are here: Before and on Arrival | General Information | Temporary Jobs & Placements

Temporary Jobs & Placements

Temporary Jobs

Students from the EU and the EEA

Basically students from the European Union and the EEA stand practically on equal terms with German students and have free access to the German job market.

Since Mai 2011 students from Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Czech Republic and Hungary can work in terms similar to the German students.

For students from Bulgaria and Romania the restrictions of 120/240 days still apply. If you come from one of these countries you only have limited access to the job market and you need authorisation from the Federal Employment Agency. This authority checks whether or not a German citizen or any other EU-citizen is available to do the job.

Non-EU students

As of August 2012 international students who do not come from the EU or EEA are allowed to work 120 full or 240 half days in a year. To do this they do not need authorisation from the Employment Agency, i.e. the German authorities.

International students who do not come from the EU cannot go self employed or work freelance!

If you want to work more than 120 full or 240 half days you need the approval of the Employment Agency and the Aliens Department. Whether you receive the approval depends on the situation of the job market in your place of study. In regions with high unemployment you will have little chance of working more than 90 days.

For more information please contact the following homepages:


If you do not come from the EU or the EEA and have a work placement in Germany it counts as normal work - even if the placement is unpaid! Every day of your work experience will be subtracted from your 120 days.

For example, if you have already worked 120 days you must get authorisation from the Aliens Department and the Federal Employment Agency to be able to do a work placement.

The only exceptions are work placements that are a compulsory part of your studies.

Social insurance contributions and taxes - quite simple!

In Germany several different types of social contribution as well as taxes are deducted straight from your earnings. The rules for students are, however, often generous. You pay either lower contributions or none at all.

Income tax

Every employee in Germany has to pay taxes. The amount depends on your income. If you have a so called "mini-job" earning 450 Euro per month, you do not have to pay taxes.

If you earn less than 8,130 Euro a year you will get back the taxes you have paid at the end of the year if you submit an income tax return to the tax authorities.

Pension insurance

All employees in Germany must make a contribution from their earnings to the state pension scheme. Usually this amounts to 9.45% of income. Student contributions are normally lower.

An income up to 450 Euro is exempted from contribution. With an income of between 450 and 850 Euro per month or more than 20 working hours per week the amount is reduced. Whoever earns more, pays higher contributions. As of an income of 850 Euro per month students pay the full share of 9.45 %.

Health insurance/nursing care insurance

Even if they have a side job students are usually insured as students and not as employees. In that case they do not have to make any income related contributions towards health insurance. Under some circumstances, if they work more than 20 hours a week, students have to pay a contribution to health insurance. Clarify this beforehand with your employer!

Unemployment insurance

Students do not normally pay unemployment insurance contributions. This means, though, that they cannot claim unemployment benefit if they lose their side job.

Minor occupation = 400 Euro job = mini-job

If, as a student, you have long term employment for which you do not earn more than 400 Euro per month, the so called mini-job rule applies: you do not have to pay taxes or contributions towards the state pension.

(Source: Deutsches Studentenwerk)



Letzte Änderung: 21.05.2014 - 16:05:23